Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning

Literal:
On right hand side of blog.

Interpretive: 
I've gained so much from my service learning, I'm not sure how I can just choose one to consider the most important. So, I'd have to say that time devotion is probably the overall most important thing service learning has taught me. Training a horse takes a lot of time, as you can't just go twice a week and ride the horse for twenty minutes. You must work with the horse every day, and develop a schedule that includes both riding and groundwork, with maybe one of those days counting as a day off. Your work must also have a purpose, which can consume a lot of time seeing as some horses need lots of repetition to learn/improve a skill. Time and consistency can also make a horse well trained, as the more patience given and time spent on training a horse will give you a well rounded, well adjusted horse.
On top of training horses, a trainer must make time to train their clients. Lessons take up a large amount of time, seeing as a prime lesson lasts for an hour. For example, my trainer and service learner Kris devotes Wednesdays and Fridays to lessons. Starting at 8am and finishing at around 7pm, she gives lessons to her variety of students that range from beginners to advanced, jumping to reining. One must really be devoted to be a trainer.

Applied:
My service learning helped answer my essential question of "what is most important to becoming a successful western horse trainer?" by allowing me to analyze first hand what a horse trainer does each day, the different horses and clients they deal with, different problematic situations (such as loosing a shoe on a horse, ect.), and training techniques and methods. I've been able to apply everything I've learned in service learning to my senior project, and have gained a lot of experience and tools I can use in the future.
I've also been able to make some connections, and have hopefully landed the task of gentling and breaking a two year old Quarter Horse colt my friend owns, my first training job! This will allow me to test my findings, and see if I have what it takes to make it to a successful western horse trainer.


Service Learning Contact Info:
J. Kristen Keeler, head of JKK Performance Horses. 
Phone #: (951)201-7110

No comments:

Post a Comment